Elite Ofcom Compliance Consultancy
Elite Telecom are here to help you understand changes soon to be applied by Ofcom, the UK communications regulator, which will affect the way in which the 08/09 non-geographic numbers will be charged. These changes are designed to improve consumer understanding of the charges relating to the use of these numbers taking effect from 1st July 2015.
We know that complicated regulations can be confusing and we don't want you to be left unprepared. With 15 years of telecoms experience here at Elite Telecom, you can be safe in the knowledge that we know what we're talking about and will always advise you on the best course of action.
Research by Ofcom found consumers were confused about the cost to call 08, 09 and 118 (DQ) non-geographic number ranges.
From 1st July 2015 Ofcom will aim to simplify call charges by implementing the following:
- Unbundling charges into an "Access" and "Service Charge" component
- Reducing the number of price points from 300 to 80 (increasing to 100 in time)
- Removing set-up fees from call charges
- Requiring users of non-geographic number services (NGNS) to clearly advertise pricing
- 0800 calls from mobiles will be free from mobiles as well as landlines
Who is affected?
- Any business that use and advertise 08, 09 or 118 numbers which consumers can call
- The changes do not impact business to business users of non-geographic number services (NGNS)
What action do you need to take?
For the first time, organisations using 08/09 numbers have a legal obligation to make clear the cost of calling those numbers on any advertising or promotional material (in print or online). This information will need to state the following:
- "Calls will cost you X pence per minute (or per call) plus your phone company's access charge".
- This statement must be displayed in a prominent position and in close proximity to the 08/09 number concerned.
When do I need to comply by?
Ideally all advertising material should have the correct information from 1 July. That said, the ASA is unlikely to formally investigate cases where there is a short delay provided advertisers can show they are working to become compliant as soon as possible.
Free Ofcom Compliance Consultancy
Elitetele.com is offering free consultation to any business set to be affected by the changes.
The team of experts behind our long established inbound division can educate and assist any business that uses or advertises 08, 09 or 118 numbers which consumers can call. We will also provide advice on the changes to unbundling charges, reduced price points and the removal of set-up fees from call charges.
Working with carriers, we can provide insight on how the changes to service charges will impact 08 and 09 wholesale charges, revenue share and the change in 0800 rates to accommodate calls from mobile networks.
Contact Elite Telecom today for a FREE Ofcom compliance consultation